Re: your mail

From: hal (hckingat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 03:46:16 PDT

    Just a tidbit: This message sent me running so I can tell you that vim ( that
       does create an "backup" file ) creates its files with the same perms as the
       file you are editing.

    On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, sbr wrote:

    > I recently started using a new editor called joe, with this editor there is
    > a feature that if your existing session is terminated, it creates a DEADJOE
    > in the directory.  While editing my shadow file my connection was
    > terminated, thus leaving the DEADJOE in my /etc directory that was world
    > readable containing my entire shadow file.  I think the problem is self
    > explanitory.  I have emailed the creator and there is no feature to disable
    > this that I can find or mentioned in the email.  My umask setting does not
    > seem to affect the permissions of DEADJOE.
    >
    > The operating system is Debian Linux 2.1 kernel 2.2.10 i386.
    >
    > 	- Spencer.

    hal                    hckingat_private
                       http://acssun.pstcc.cc.tn.us/~hcking
       ...The role of President was originally cast with a Mr. Winston Smith
         "Thank you not member of non-existent Red Army infiltration Force"