improper chroot in dbmlparser.exe

From: robert qdial (qdialat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 17 1999 - 13:09:53 PDT

    Hi, this is my first posting to bugtraq, I found something
    that needs to be addressed.  While browsing some sites the
    other night, I noticed a popular guestbook probgram,
    dbmlparser.exe, I have seen this on a few nameless sites so
    far, and im sure that there are more out there.  anyways
    heres my findings:

    Some sites use dbmlparser.exe to handle there guestbooks,
    or basic message boards, or the same type of stuff.  The
    problem here is that it calls for a file that holds the
    guestbook or message board postings DBMLFILE=, this is
    calling for DBMLFILE=genericpage.dbml&, then a bit more cgi
    to regulate output after that.  the problem is that it
    doesnt chroot correctly, so in theory you can just insert
    any file that you want read access to.  Now this is where
    this gets fun.  Without it proporly chroot'ng, it will let
    you read any file on the computer that you have read
    permission to read.  Now in theory, I havent tried this,
    but you can modify the source on the html page with the the
    forms on another site, redirect it to them, and respecifiy
    the file you want to over write.  very nasty, needs
    addressing.   I hope this information helps any sysadmins
    out who are using this software.