Correction to Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-025

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 15:02:51 PDT

    The following is a Security  Bulletin from the Microsoft Product Security
    Notification Service.

    Please do not  reply to this message,  as it was sent  from an unattended
    mailbox.
                        ********************************

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-025
    (http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/MS99-025.asp), which was
    released on July 19, 1999, discussed a vulnerability associated with
    Internet Information Server and Microsoft Data Access Components.  The
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for this bulletin
    (http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/MS99-025faq.asp) provided
    instructions on how to manually change the registry in order to protect
    vulnerable systems, and also provided an automated method for making the
    changes.  However, we have discovered that the automated method is
    incorrect.

    If you manually changed the registry entries as discussed in the bulletin,
    you do not need to take any further action.  All of the information in the
    bulletin and FAQ regarding registry keys is correct.  However, if you
    downloaded HANDUNSF.REG and used it to automatically change the registry,
    you should download the corrected file and run it on all affected systems.
    The corrected file is named HANDSAFE.REG, in order to make it easy to tell
    that you are using the right file.  The file can be downloaded from the FAQ
    page; the link to the file is contained in the answer to "I have MDAC 2.x
    installed, what should I do?".

    Even if you are not affected by this error, we recommend that you review the
    FAQ page again.  We have made a number of changes to the original version of
    the FAQ, in order to provide a clearer description of the security
    vulnerability and the steps that customers should take.

    We regret the error and any inconvenience that it has caused.  We are taking
    steps to ensure that the problem will not happen again.  Sincerely,

    The Microsoft Product Security Team