Re: (How) Does AntiSniff do what is claimed?

From: Paul Boyer (paul.boyerat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 12:14:33 PDT

    Do I miss something or antisniff will totally fail to detecting a non-IP
    machine going promiscuous ?

    Is there any Novell trojan that can turn an IPX only machine into a
    sniffer ?
    Is there a trojan for VMS that can turn a Decnet only machine into a
    sniffer ?
    Is there a DOS trojan that can turn a Netbeui only machine into a
    sniffer ?

    Also, a dedicated sniffing device/machine inserted on your network by a
    cracker will probably be as verbose as a /dev/null with its TX wire cut,
    huh ?

    So, one should be well aware that antisniff only detect when a regular
    IP machine you know (you need to know its IP address) is changing to
    promiscuous mode, but fail to detect "any" promiscuous mode device on a
    specific network.
    I see nothing except maybe an electronical device analyzing signal
    deformation to detect such attacks. Cryptography is probably a cheaper
    alternative to this kind of protection, anyway.

    Nevertheless, antisniff will detect _MOST_ cases of sniffing attacks,
    and it is the first integrated graphical tool to do it so well, and as
    such it is really a "must have" tool.

    Many thanks to L0pht for their work.

    Paul

    Nick Lamb wrote: