Re: [New ActiveX security problems in Windows 98 PCs]

From: McKay (seanmckayat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 09:56:40 PDT

    "David N. Murray" <dmurrayat_private> wrote:

    > What can computer manufacturers and software companies do about the
    > problem
    > of security holes in pre-installed ActiveX controls?  As it turns out,
    > Internet Explorer 5 already offers a great solution.  IE5 supports a new
    > feature called HTML applications (or .HTA files).  An HTML Application
    > is
    > built like a Web page but can only be loaded and execute from the hard
    > drive.  Because an .HTA file comes from the local drive and not the
    > Internet, scripts on the page are a completely trusted and are allowed
    > use all ActiveX controls installed on a system whether the controls are
    > marked safe or not.  For an HTML application, none of its private
    > ActiveX
    > controls have to marked safe for scripting and therefore the controls
    > cannot
    > be misused on Web pages.

    I hate to burst your bubble, but .HTA files can come from the Internet.  When
    an IE4 or IE5 browser encounters a .HTA file on the Internet, it prompts with
    a typical open/save dialog box.

    If you tell the dialog to open it, it runs on your system with fully trusted
    permissions (i.e. no security).

    For an example of a .HTA from the Internet go to...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/essentials/versions/Ie5hta.asp

    and look for a link on the page with the text:

    "Here's how this simple HTA looks".

    McKay