Re: Simple DOS attack on FW-1

From: Olaf Selke (Olaf.Selkeat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 01 1999 - 13:42:01 PDT

    According to Lance Spitzner:
    > Any malicious black-hat or disgruntled employee can fill
    > your connections table.  Many organiztion allow all
    > outbound traffic.  Someone can simply scan a non-existant
    > target outbound and fill the connections table.  They
    > even can be sneaky about it and use nmap with the'-D'
    > option, so someone else gets blamed for the scanning activity.
    >
    > The main reason I consider this 'exploit' dangerous, is not only
    > is it easy for any black-hat to do, but it is very easy for you

    unfortunately there is an easy way to exploit this from the
    outside. By default each FireWall-1 accepts connections to its
    own port 256/tcp from the entire Internet. This feature can be
    turned off in the gui's control properties but usually it isn't:

    Taken from Phoneboy's FAQ, http://www.phoneboy.com/

    TCP Port 256 is used for three important things:
    - Exchange of CA and DH keys in FWZ and SKIP encryption
      between two FireWall-1 Management Consoles
    - A SecuRemote Client uses this port to fetch the network topology
      and encryption key from a FireWall-1 Management Console
    - When instaling a policy, the management console uses this port
      to push the policy to the remote firewall.

    This means a misguided individual may trash the FireWall-1 connection
    table even from the outside by sending syn packets to firewall's port
    256/tcp with random addresses as source. The firewall will reply with
    syn|ack packets to these non existing addresses, placing these
    connections in it's state table.

    I've tested this with the most recent FireWall-1 Version 4.0 Build 4064 [VPN + DES]
    on Sun Solaris 2.6 and and some pretty old Linux based synflood tool published
    in the Phrack magazine two years ago.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Selke, olaf.selkeat_private, voice +49 5241 80-7069