Re: FW-1 DOS attack: PART II

From: Sean Boyle (Sean_Boyleat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 09:21:47 PDT

    I ran into a similar problem.  The connections table has a configurable
    limit, but the xlation table doesn't (FW-1 3.x).  Someone in Rumania (I
    *think* it was) evidently was unhappy with his ISP, so he sent out a
    virus which would cause the infected machine to spawn a zillion
    half-open connections to the ISP.  For a FW-1 system running NAT, it
    would cause a DOS when the xlate table filled.  It has a hard limit of
    25000.

    Like many others here, I wrote a perl script to dump the xlation table,
    count the slots for a given machine and sorted it, allowing me to find
    the culprit.  According to Symantec, it is a relatively uncommon virus.

    "Spitzner, Lance" wrote:

    > I would greatly appreciate if you could pass this along.
    > It does a much better job of explaing what the exact
    > problem/DOS is with FW-1.
    > .

    .
    .
    .

    --
    "Intrinsically lazy, therefore creative"
    PGP Fingerprint: 22 68 D5 18 7F 3D D2 28  38 97 90 97 17 55 61 59