bo2k plugins

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 16:07:08 PDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:29:40 -0500
    From: Irwan Amir Widjaja <irwanwat_private>
    To: vuldbat_private
    Subject: bo2k plugins

    Hi,

    I recently (July 31st) discovered that the CAST-256 plugin v2.2 which
    allows any user to connect to any CAST256 server with any password.
    After reporting the bug to Daniel (the author), he fixed the plugin
    within a few hours and found that the problem lied within Maw~'s MD5
    module, which he used for his plugin (Dan later found that MAW~'s IDEA
    plugin has the same flaw).

    This is obviously a very big security risk for administrators who use
    bo2k as a legit remote administration tool (as opposed to a 'cracking &
    hacking' tool).

    Currently CAST-256 and IDEA are the only strong encryption plugins which
    are internationally available for bo2k (the only ones I'm aware of at
    least).

    There were over 1000 downloads of the faulty CAST256 plugin alone.

    Both of these plugins have been updated by their authors.

    Sincerely,

    Amir