Re: Cisco 675 password nonsense

From: Brian Elfert (brianat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 08:28:48 PDT

    On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, DeMoNx wrote:

    > switching all non-business/special adsl accounts over to using PPP rather
    > than bridging mode for 'security reasons', I got a little suspicious. With

    With good reason.  In bridging mode with a Windows 9x/NT box, your network
    neighborhood will show everyone else's PC that has any file/print sharing
    enabled.  So, it's trivially easy to connect to a non-passworded share.

    Now, ideally, all these shares would be passworded, but we know that'll
    never happen.  Not having the shares show up in network neighborhood is a
    bit of security by obscurity, but it's harder to connect to a share if
    it's not in your network neighborhood.

    > them. The problem is, *most* of these guys don't set passwords on the
    > 675's. It is very simple to compromise an unpassworded 675. simply hit
    > 'enter' at the password prompt after telnetting in, if you get a cbos>
    > promt you are half way there, NOT GOOD. If there is no exec mode password
    > set, then there most likely won't be an enable(superuser) mode password

    Cisco has recognized this as a problem.  This is fixed in 2.1.0a or in
    2.2.0 (2.2.0 out shortly).  The 675 will react like classic IOS and not
    allow telnet if a exec password is not set.

    BTW, in US West land at least, 90 to 95% of all installs are self install
    where a tech never visits the customer.

    Brian