Re: FW-1 DOS attack: PART II

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 18:25:37 PDT

    As an author of a free NAT/firewalling tool for Unix (IP Filter), I know
    there are DoS possibilities due to size limitations of tables, etc.  When
    I coded it I knew they were there - the design is for it to work, and work
    well, not withstand a situation that will always overwhelm it - and very few
    have reached them in real use.

    One problem here is, unless you have *very* agressive timeouts, there's not
    much you can do in defence unless you work with an IDS that decides "too much
    traffic of type X from Y", resulting in you blocking more packets.  Of
    course, with agressive timeouts come performance problems over connections
    with large RTT's and packets being dropped (not to mention idle connections).
    Or you open up holes (like FW-1 does) to allow arbitrary packets (ACKs)
    through regardless of rules.  _Maybe_ a firewall can decide for itself
    when "too much is enough" but where do you draw the line ?  Start imposing
    more arbitrary limits such as "no more than 50 concurrent connections to
    the mail server" ? (Tempting, mind you :)

    To give you some idea of the maximum size a table could be, to support
    NAT'ing to a /24 address space, you're looking at max. of about 16M entries.
    In real life, I just can't see that happening.

    The only real advantage of making source available, in this instance, is
    people can recompile the code with bigger/smaller tables, taking up more/less
    kernel memory.

    In reality, these DoS `relevations' are not new, except in how they affect
    one particular product (FW-1).  The Internet at large is still an easy
    target for someone willing to deploy a DoS attack - stories of hosts being
    blackholed using routing to circumvent large (200Mb/s) attacks where routers
    `melt' when filtering is enabled, are not unheard of.

    All very well for people to go and find these problems, but having made the
    obvious more obvious, how about some suggestions on finding real solutions?
    Tip: this isn't quite as easy as fixing root exploits.

    Darren