Microsoft ask users to crack win2000 site

From: Peter Lowe (pglat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 10:05:33 PDT

    [ executive summary: Microsoft are asking you to crack their
      machine running on win2k and iis. ]

    I haven't seen anything about this on bugtraq before, and I'm not
    entirely sure if it's appropriate, but this is from
    http://www.windows2000test.com/ground_rules.htm:

                        Microsoft Internet Explorer
       Microsoft Windows 2000 Server with Internet Information Server.

    Ground Rules

       1. Make it Interesting

       Good safe computing practices on the Internet involve placing
       critical systems behind firewall-type devices. For this
       testing, we are intentionally not putting these machines behind
       a firewall. This mean that you could slow these machines down
       by tossing millions of random packets at them if you have
       enough bandwidth on your end. If that happens, we will simply
       start filtering traffic. Instead, find the interesting "magic
       bullet" that will bring the machine down.

       2. Compromise an account

       Windows 2000 computers can have multiple user accounts and
       groups. See if you can find a way to logon with one of these
       accounts.

       3. Change something you shouldn't have access to

       See if you can change any files or content on the server. If
       you manage, no foul or rude statements please.

       4. Get something you shouldn't have

       There are hidden messages sprinkled around the computer. See if
       you can find them.

       5. Our goal is to configure the system to thwart your attempts

       The goal is to see how a properly secured machine will stand up
       to attack. These machines are configured to prevent known
       attacks.

       6. This is a test site

       You are welcome to attempt to compromise this site, and this
       site only. This is your chance to do a practical test of
       Microsoft Windows 2000's security.

       7. Tell us about your exploits

       If you find something, send us some email at
       w2000itsat_private
       © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of
       Use.

    --
    Peter Lowe -- System Administrator, Telenor Internet
    http://www.ti.cz/ -- pglat_private

    Everything I know in life I learnt from .sigs.