Re: 3com hiperarch flaw [hiperbomb.c]

From: Mike Wronski (mikeat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 16 1999 - 11:50:02 PDT

    3Com acknowledges and has verified the existence of the hiperbomb DOS attack. All
    HiPer ARC software (4.0 - 4.2.29) is vulnerable to the attack.  The following
    workaround will protect your equipment until the software patch becomes
    available. Defect is logged under 3Com MR#11022

    It is possible to add a telnet access list of trusted hosts on the HiPer ARC. It
    can be assumed that the attack will not come from a trusted host. It is also
    recommended that you do no allow any telnet sessions from outside your network.

    To add a telnet access list:

    1) add telnet clients. These clients may be individual hosts or networks.
    	"ADD TELNET CLIENT X.X.X.X"
    	"LIST TELNET CLIENTS" will list all configured clients

    2) Enable the telnet client access list feature.
    	"ENABLE TELNET CLIENT_ACCESS"

    A follow up post will be made when the patched code is made available.

    This workaround can also be found on the 3Com Knowledge Base (3KB) at
    http://knowledgebase.3com.com/ under document ID: 2.0.2107762.2279004

    Mike Wronski (mikeat_private)
    Sr. 3Com Network Systems Engineer / BETA Engineer
    PGP:http://coredump.ae.usr.com/pgp