Security Bug in Oracle

From: Elias Levy (aleph1at_private)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 09:22:32 PDT

    Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:22:32 -0700
    Sender: Bugtraq List <BUGTRAQat_private>
    From: Elias Levy <aleph1at_private>
    Subject:      Security Bug in Oracle
    To: BUGTRAQat_private

    To: BUGTRAQat_private

    Sender: jason.axleyat_private

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:51:53 +0200
    From: Gilles PARC <gparcat_private>

    Hi Listers,

    I discover a new security problem with Oracle on Unix.
    Once again, it's with a setuid program.

    Do not confuse with a similar problem corrected
    by ORACLE  some month ago with a patch called setuid_patch.sh.

    NEW PROBLEM :

    if you have installed Oracle Intelligent agent, you will find in
    $ORACLE_HOME/bin a program called dbsnmp.
    This program is setuid root and was DELIBERATELY EXCLUDED
    by Oracle in the forementioned patch.

    The security hole resides in the fact  that this program executes
    a tcl script ( nmiconf.tcl ) located by default  in
    $ORACLE_HOME/network/agent/config.

    Needless to say that  you can easily bypass this default and have
    your own malicious nmiconf.tcl script run under root privileges.

    I verify this on HP-UX 10.20 with  Oracle 7.3.3 and 8.0.4.3
                        on AIX 4.3  with Oracle 8.0.5.1
    But  it's probably Unix generic.

    Regards

    Gilles Parc