Re: midnight commander vulnerability(?)

From: Thomas Biege (thomasat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 03:48:05 PDT

    Hi,

    > privileges of $HOME/.mc/ are default rwx-rx--rx-
    > if anyone has used built in mc ftp-client and has put link like:
    > password:userat_private, in file
    > history in foledr $HOME/.mc/ is stored in a key in '[inp FTP to machine
    > ]'
    > tree.

    The current version (4.5.37) of mc, that is used by SuSE creates
    the history file mode 600 independently of the umask.

    Nevertheless, I think it's a very bad behavior to record account
    informations, because it could be used by a cracker to gain access
    to more sites.
    The authors of mc should disable recording these kind of stuff.

    Bye,
         Thomas
    --
      Thomas Biege, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaeckerstr. 10, 90443 Nuernberg
      E@mail: thomasat_private      Function: Security Support & Auditing