Re: Win32 File Naming (again)

From: Kenn Humborg (kennat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 07:37:39 PDT

    > >The catch is that Microsoft recommend using the 8.3 name when
    > >registering COM servers (due to a bug in CreateProcess when there
    > >is a space in the server's directory path or file name).  So you may
    > >not be able to register any COM servers on this partition (which may
    > >not be a bad thing... :-)
    >
    > For one thing, you'd normally stick a COM server up under %systemroot%, or
    > you could put it anywhere else on the file system outside of the web
    > server.  I'm not aware of any bug that triggers in COM with spaces (are you
    > sure it affects NT?)  I also just read a lot of info on COM, and it didn't
    > mention that.  I'm also almost certain (though I ought to doublecheck) that
    > CreateProcess() isn't foiled by spaces (else 'c:\program files\' would
    > cause mayhem).  Lastly, I do know that when the 8.3 IIS bug first hit quite
    > a while back, this was the recommended workaround, and I don't recall this
    > issue coming up.

    The problem occurs when two paths are identical up to a space.
    So if you have another directory 'c:\program\', then you'd be in
    trouble.  Strangely, q185126 (see below) says that the conflicting
    directory caneven be on another drive.!!!  (How do they screw up
    _that_ badly?)

    See MS KB articles:

       Q179690 FIX: Launching COM Server with Long File Name Returns 0x80080005
       Q185126 Error 429 "ActiveX Component Can't Create Object" on NT

    (The 'FIX' referred to in q179690 is a workaround in the ATL source code.)

    Kenn