[SECURITY] Current versions of seyon may contain malicious code

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 12:38:28 PDT

    --FcSpk3Icpd/Pbul4

    One year ago, we have received a report from SGI that a vulnerability
    has been discovered in the seyon program which can lead to a root
    compromise.  Any user who can execute the seyon program can exploit
    this vulnerability.

    However, the license of Seyon doesn't permit us to provide a fix, now
    is the Seyon author responsive, nor do we have a patch, nor do we know
    an exploit and can't develop a fixe therefore.

    We recommend you switch to minicom instead.

    The maintainer of Seyon told us the following:

         I notice from reading the SGI announcement that their problem is
         a root exploit because of a setuid Seyon.  The Seyon we ship is
         not setuid, so I doubt we'll have a serious problem.

    --
    Debian GNU/Linux    .    Security Managers    .    securityat_private
                  debian-security-announceat_private

    --FcSpk3Icpd/Pbul4

    --FcSpk3Icpd/Pbul4--