Winamp SHOUTcast server: Gain Administrator Password

From: Michael (arrowat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 02:19:39 PDT

    Greetings Bugtraq, this is my first posting of an advisory, so go easy on me =)

    I was recently setting up a Nullsoft SHOUTcast server to relay some
    content when I noticed the Administrator password is stored plain text in
    the configuration file (./sc_serv.conf by default).

    The password is also LOGGED when the web based administration tool is
    used. It can be obtained by simply grep'ing the logfile output. The
    offending line is here:
    <08/20/99@06:11:41> [http:1 my.computer.com] REQ:"/admin.cgi?pass=joltcola&mode=viewlog" (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98))

    Obtaining the Administrator password allows administration via the web
    based system, as well has hijacking the content stream going out to
    listeners.

    Quick fix would be simply chmod the log and config files to prevent world
    reading. Nullsoft should of course parse there log output for sensitive
    data, and possibly look into UNIX crypt() for its passwords.

        -arr0w

    ---
    Mike Damm       http://www.dahphish.org/~arrow/
    arrowat_private     arrowat_private
    Sometimes I think windows calls DevideByZero();