Re: XDM Insecurity revisited

From: Michael Herrmann (herrmanmat_private-MUENCHEN.DE)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 01:35:12 PDT

    On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 11:55:49AM -0500, Dave Plonka wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 12:26:20PM +0200, Jochen Bauer wrote:
    > > On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 Eric Augustus (augustusat_private) posted a message
    > > on BUGTRAQ about the fact, that the default Xaccess file allows XDMCP
    > > connections from any host. As you know, this can be used to get a
    > > login screen on any host and therefore get around access control
    > > mechanisms like tcpwrapper and root login restriction to the console.
    > >
    > > However, this warning seemed to have little effect as (at least)
    > > Digital Unix 4.0E, SuSE Linux 6.1 and Red Hat Linux 6.0 are still
    > > (1.5 years later) shipped with this default Xaccess file.
    > <snip>
    > and with CDE on our Solaris 2.6 machines as well.  (I haven't checked
    > CDE under 2.7 yet.)

    To be fair, it should be noted that the CDE dtlogin that ships
    with Solaris (at least >= 2.6, I haven't checked ealier versions)
    does _not_ suffer from this vulnerability.

    While it is true that by default anyone is allowed to log in
    remotely, for remote root login dtlogin checks
    /etc/default/login, just like /bin/login does. Try it. Dtlogin
    will not let you in.

    Michael Herrmann