Re: WindowMaker bugs (was sub:none )

From: Chris Green (sproutat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 11:19:16 PDT

    I replied to this message already when he posted it to linux-alert
    IIRC.  He didn't reply though so here's my message again slightly edited.

    I will say that these are some poor bugs.  I won't say that they
    have the wide ranging implications that you imply.  The window manager
    isn't going to save anyone if someone has access to your display.

    Running programs with long argv[0]'sis just another way for a user to
    shoot themselves in the foot by running a program that is doing
    something nasty.  One more place to put a trojan but
    thats about as far reaching as that goes.

    the libPropList problem might be a bit bigger as at one time some of
    GNOME was/is using it.

    Buffer overflows are bugs.  Lots of them have security
    implications.  Most do not.

    Feel free to correct me if you feel I have my facts wrong here or I'm
    overlooking some implication of the bugs.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    --
    Chris Green <sproutat_private> <grapeapeat_private>
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.