Patch for w98/igmp frag bug (alias kod) and ICMP-type 13 (alias

From: Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez (romanat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 15:56:35 PDT

    {Sorry if this is known... Aleph, feel free to discard this message.}

     I've been looking for a M$ *w98* patch for these DoS bugs and I've
    found nothing. I visited M$ web, used the site' search engine (tried
    keywords like "kod", "igmp", etc), viewed w98 support section,
    security bulletins, ... with no success. :-(

     M$ recommends a patch called "System Update" (included in Service
    Pack 1), although it says nothing about the related DoS. Same occurs
    with SP1 (for w98). Do they fix the problem? At least it seems not to
    be documented.

     I also want to show my unconformity with M$ policy about w98 SP. You
    are forced to download an updater program in order to be able to
    download SP (the alternative method is paying some $$ for ordering a
    cd). Why do I need such a program? (I do not want to give the chance
    to send info about my machine to M$...). Most of w98 users are usually
    referred as dumb users, but I don't think they cannot use a patch in
    .exe form (like NT Service Packs). Don't you think so, Bill? ;-)

     Yours, Román.

    ------ E.T.S. Ingenieros Telecomunicacion ---------
    ---\\     Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez        //---
    ---//       E-Mail:  romanat_private          \\---
    ------- URL: http://www.esi.us.es/~roman ----------