Re: FreeBSD (and other BSDs?) local root explot

From: Todd C. Miller (Todd.Millerat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 08:34:11 PDT

    This looks like the BSD libc fts.c bug discussed here in May.
    OpenBSD is not vulnerable to this since it does not follow symlinks
    when dumping core.  Also, I committed a fix in OpenBSD to the fts.c
    bug (based on the bugtraq posting) shortly after it was found.
    As a result find did not get a SEGV on OpenBSD-current (and if it
    had find.core would not have followed the link anyway).

    I have passed along the fts.c patch to the NetBSD folks and I know
    that one of the FreeBSD guys was recently working on incorporating
    changes from the OpenBSD fts.c.  I don't see the relevant change in
    FreeBSD-current though.

    >From discussions on the NetBSD secuirty list it looks like NetBSD
    is going to disallow core dumps through a symlink--I would encourage
    FreeBSD to do the same.

     - todd