Re: IE 5.0 allows executing programs - how to do it under NT

From: Ollie Whitehouse (ollieat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 01:14:16 PDT

    All,

    My self and Eric Stevens today worked on an idea that allowed this
    vulnerability to be executed reliably in default installations on the
    following operating systems.

    [Tested]
    Windows NT v4 Terminal Server (SP3)
    Windows 98

    [Background]
    Url to original Exploit: http://www.nat.bg/~joro/scrtlb.html

    Russ Cooper (of NT Bug Traq) brought up the problem of the default
    path entered in to the exploit would only allow reliable exploitation
    under Windows 9x. After an exchange of mails over the course of
    Thursday with Eric using one of Russ's theories to use the %windir%
    and the %username% variables to exploit user specific paths it was
    shown this was not possible (due to the lack of functionality under
    JScript.

    [What has changed]
    It was found that the default working directory of the src Active X
    control is the Windows Desktop of the current user. So to exploit this
    the following line of code would need to be changed:

    scr.Path="c:..\\Start Menu\\Programs\\StartUp\\thisisnew.hta";

    this should allow the reliable exploitation.

    [Credits]
    Greg (Original Exploit)
    Russ Cooper (Raising the issue's under WindowsNT)
    Eric Stevens (for putting up with my ranting all day and testing
    his/my own theories on this subject)

    rgds

    rgds

    Ollie
    <%
    Ollie Whitehouse
    I.T Co-Ordinator - Delphis Consulting
    VOX : +44 (0)207 916 0200 (Switchboard)
    FAX : +44 (0)207 916 1620 (Main)
    FAX : +44 (0)870 0881837 (FAX - E-Mail)
    PGP : http://www.ombs.demon.co.uk/pgp.txt
    Tag : Who needs Windows2000 when you have OS/2?
    %>