Re: [RHSA-1999:028-01] Buffer overflow in libtermcap tgetent()

From: Carlo M. Arenas Belon (carenasat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 15:45:21 PDT

    <SNIP>
    > > The problem with telnetd is that you can pass a terminal name that indicates
    > > 'use a local file'. Now the ncurses library then goes 'ok leading slash
    > > all well and good', Im not suid uid==euid, lets open it as root and read a
    > > few bytes. You can't do much with it - you can rewind the machines tape
    > > drive for example however. Also if your termcap parser has bugs you can
    > > hit those.
    >
    > This is fixed in the latest (pre-)release of ncurses-5.0.  From the release
    > notes posted to bug-ncurses mailing list (as of last night) from da man
    > hissef:
    >
    > 990821  pre-release
    >         + updated configure macros CF_MAKEFLAGS, CF_CHECK_ERRNO
    >         + minor corrections to beterm terminfo entry.
    >         + modify lib_setup.c to reject values of $TERM which have a '/' in them.
    >
    > So, version 5.0 will no longer accept $TERM that has a slash in it at all,
    > much less a leading one.  I haven't looked closely at the source code, but a
    > similar change to the 4.2 sources, the version most distributions are using
    > now, should address this at least where tgetent() is concerned.

    from a COL2.2 system

    ldd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    	libncurses.so.4 => /lib/libncurses.so.4 (0x40018000)
    	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4005a000)

    i think someone should fix the last post on Caldera's homepage regarding
    this vulnerability

    http://www.calderasystems.com/news/security/CSSA-1999:020.0.txt

    .... Olaf? ;)

    > > It is a very nice example of why saying "lets ignore XYZ variable" is not
    > > security but a quick fix for emergencies. If you don't fix the code it
    > > will get you..
    >
    > Yep...

    wise words

    Carlo