wu-ftpd

From: Eduard Nigsch (ediat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 11:37:18 PDT

    > I've been browsing through the ftpd code and the overflow
    > is really there. But as soon as I made some tests,
    > (using CWD function), the vulnerable buffer seems
    > to be out of stack space, which turns to be impossible
    > to reach the return address.

    This is not quite true: The overflown buffer is on
    the heap, but this doesn't mean you cannot exploit it.
    'onefile' and 'Argv', which come next in memory, can be
    modified to point anywhere you like, and there is more
    than 1 way to gain root access with this.

    > but if it's really true, this problem will
    > not mean anything as a security matters (BeroFTPD and
    > WUftpd are running from inetd so it wont be a dos).

    It actually IS a security problem, but because of the
    difficulty in exploiting it there should be enough time
    to upgrade servers before exploits are widespread.

    Edi