Cisco and Nmap Dos

From: Lancashire, Andrew (LancashireAat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 17:02:18 PDT

    I don't know if you've ever seen this before.  We ran nmap with ICMP
    discover and standard tcp scan.  We ran the scan against the entire 10.0.0.0
    network range. Although we were only looking for 2 ports, we found that the
    RSM in our 5500 series (our default route) was  running out of memory and
    had to be rebooted by our Network Services group multiple times in the 18
    hour stretch it took to complete. One of the interesting things is that we
    were only generating about 3-5 Mbs and the 5500 can pass Gigabits.   I have
    not heard of this problem before.  We contacted Cisco and sent them the
    details.  Below is the response to one of our engineers.

    Andrew