Re: Local DoS in FreeBSD

From: Jason Ackley (jasonat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 21:19:56 PDT

    On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, L. Sassaman wrote:

    > This was first posted to the FreeBSD security list on the 9th of August,
    > subsequently discussed on freebsd-stable and freebsd-hackers... no one
    > seems to care, even though it is able to lock up 2.2.6, 2.2.8, and 3.2.x
    > machines consistantly. I have also been told that it affects NetBSD and
    > OpenBSD, though I haven't confirmed it.

     Standard resource drain DoS..

    > Someone with the know-how care to fix?

     man login.conf

     login.conf on *BSDs can be used to set resource limits for users,
    CPUtime, memory locked etc etc...

    I removed my limits on a user and was able to overload my machine (BSDI
    4.0), after putting my limits back on there is no problem..

    Anyone that is not using a login.conf or other type of resource
    restriction is asking for punishment..

    More of a 'bug' in the setup / configuration of the system on the admin's
    part, not on the OS if you ask me..

    my $.02 deposited..

    cheers,

    --