Re: RH 6.0 shadow passwords and locking users bug

From: Shuman (shumanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 16:24:02 PDT

    On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Prince Ctrl wrote:
    [ When administering a Red Hat 6.0 server and locking users with the
    [ 'passwd -l <user>' command, and then unlocking a user with the 'passwd
    [ -u <user>' command, a control character is added to the end of a
    [ users' encrypted password in the form of a "^Q" in the shadowed passwd
    [ file.

    The "usermod" program, a part of shadow-utils that comes with RedHat 6.0
    has a similar feature and does NOT has this "^Q" problem when unlocking.

    To lock an account:
    usermod -L username

    To unlock an account:
    usermod -U username

    [ OS affected/tested: Red Hat 6.0

    Too bad, I just upgraded the last RH 5.2 box to 6.0 today!

    ---
    M S Anam                                       <shumanat_private>

    Annex Group, Bangladesh                            We hack to learn!

    Those who can't write, write manuals.