Re: [patch] ProFTPd remote root exploit

From: Dan Stromberg (strombrgat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 12:05:44 PDT

    Jordan Ritter wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Nic Bellamy wrote:
    >
    > >       tracked this problem to an sprintf() into a buffer on the stack
    > > in the log_xfer() routine in src/log.c. Gotta love it. Sigh.
    >
    > What's interesting to note is that I notified the contact at ProFTPd of
    > this exact overflow back during the last ftpd fiasco (there was more than
    > one way to break proftpd).  Assuming that you're making this assertion
    > from the absolute latest source available, I'd say it's unfortunate that
    > this wasn't dealt with many months ago.
    >
    > --jordan

    Floody, the old maintainer, fell off the net.

    MacGuyver has been picking up proftpd development.

    If you tried to reach Floody, it's no wonder there was no response.

    I do agree that the situation is regrettable.  But there are extenuating
    circumstances in this case.

    That is, proftpd is maintained, you just caught it in transition from
    one maintainer to another.