Re: Stack Shield: defending from "stack smashing" attacks

From: Chris Keane (Chris.Keaneat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 08:24:36 PDT

      +> So, why would one use the approach of saving the return address on
      +> another stack, instead of patching the stack itself, like StackGuard?
      +> The only reason I can imagine, is that one does not want to change the
      +> stack layout. The benefit of not changing the stack layout, is that
      +> you can do the change outside of the compiler.

      CC> Another major advantage is that gdb continues to work.  The
      CC> StackGuard method fails for all programs that introspect the stack,
      CC> gdb being the major example.

    And presumably it would mean you could compile kernels with it, which also
    fails with StackGuard (for Linux, at least).

    Cheers,
    Chris.

        Hardware Compilation Group, Oxford University Computing Laboratory,
                Wolfson Building, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QD, U.K.
        tel:  +44 (1865) (2)73865      e-mail:  Chris.Keaneat_private
                http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/chris.keane/