LSA and LSA3 HotFix Malformed Request Causes LSA Service

From: NtWaK0 (adonis1at_private)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 13:21:18 PDT

    Hello to everyone.
    Date: 09-01-1999 (By NtWaK0)

    ---
    Bug Title:
    LSA and LSA3 HotFix Malformed Request Causes LSA Service Hang
    "CAPI: The install program could not open signature file"
    ---

    ---
    Affected OS:
    WINDOWS NT 4.0 + SP1 + SP5 Only NO SP3 installed.
    ---

    Bug Description
    ---
    LSA3 Does not really FIX the LSA Vulnerability.

    After running some scanners on an (NT 4.0 SP1 + SP5 no hot fixes Workstation
    and Server) I found out
    that LSA is vulnerable, I installed the LSA3 Hotfix since it is the latest
    fix for LSA and got
    The Error Msg Is "CAPI: The install program could not open signature file"
    After the system rebooted I run the scanners again to check for the
    vulnerability , hmmm it is the Same
    the OLD Dr. Watson come up ... :((( ...

    Now I start thinking about the problem, and done those steps to find out and
    resolve my problem HEHEHE
    NOT thanks to "lsareqi.exe" j/k.

    This is the date and size of the files inside the "lsareqi.exe" from the MS
    site
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/NT40/Hotfixes-Po
    stSP5/LSA3-fix/

    05/13/99  05:32p               155,408 lsasrv.dll
    05/04/99  05:56p                10,000 lsass.exe

    Now the funny part here is the suggested size and date based on
    DOCUMENT:Q231457 see document below...
    (HMMM then something is wrong right from the start)

    This is the size and date after I installed LSA3 "lsareqi.exe" and got the
    error
    "CAPI: The install program could not open signature file"

        Directory of C:\WINNT\system32

    05/13/99  05:32p               155,408 LSASRV.DLL
    05/04/99  05:56p                10,000 LSASS.EXE

    How I fixed the LSA3 install Error? CAPI: The install program could not open
    signature file"
    ----------------
    1- Lot of coffee
    2- I asked my self and MS, how come the files insides the "lsareqi.exe" file
    does not match the "DOCUMENT:Q231457" ?
    3- I tried the same file on another NT 4.0 Box with SP1 + SP3 + SP5
    installed and I did not have the same Error
       So the link here is SP3 ... If you Jump from SP1 directly to SP5 you will
    see some fuckup...when you install LSA3
       and you will be vulnerable to LSA attack.
    4- After I tried to re-install all the HOT fixes for SP5 I still cannot
    receive the same error and still vulnerable
       and still see the OLD Dr. Watson ...
    5- Well you cannot install SP3 now on a box with SP5 hahah and I am not
    going to re-install NT again.
    6- I deleted all the entry under
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix"
    7- I deleted all the directory that ref. to the HOT  fixes
    "C:\WINNT\$NtUninstallQ230677$" etc...
    8- I installed the SP5 128 Bits version "05/19/99  02:21p
    34,557,432 MSNT128.EXE"
    9- I installed all the other SP5 hotfixes including "08/10/99  01:41p
    231,264 lsareqi.exe"
       The contant of "lsareqi.exe" is :
       	05/11/99  01:15p                91,920 hotfix.exe
    	06/15/99  11:49a                 7,533 hotfix.inf
    	05/13/99  05:32p               284,124 lsasrv.dbg
    	05/13/99  05:32p               155,408 lsasrv.dll
    	04/28/99  05:41p                13,696 lsass.dbg
    	05/04/99  05:56p                10,000 lsass.exe
    10- I rebooted for the last time and checked again for LSA vulnerability
    well it is gone...

    So to resume if you have the SP1 and you jumped directly to SP5 check your
    LSA and if you get the same error
    do the same steps and you will eliminate it... ;))) Enjoy

    +---------------oOOo-(NtWaK0)(Telco. Eng. heh and old MCSE.)-oOOo----+
    The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a
    safe, and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location...
    and i'm not even too sure about that one"--Dennis Huges, FBI.
    +-------------oOOo-"Artificial Intelligence Engine"-oOOo-------------+
    Live Well Do Good --:)Dalnet...

    -----------------
    Original MS post
    -----------------
    DOCUMENT:Q231457
    TITLE   :Malformed Request Causes LSA Service to Hang
    PRODUCT :Windows NT
    PROD/VER:4.0
    OPER/SYS:WINDOWS NT
    KEYWORD :kbbug4.00 kbfix4.00

    ---

     - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation versions 4.0, 4.0 SP1, 4.0 SP2, 4.0 SP3,
    4.0 SP4
     - Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 4.0, 4.0 SP1, 4.0 SP2, 4.0 SP3, 4.0
    SP4
     - Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition versions 4.0, 4.0 SP4
    ---

    SYMPTOMS
    ========

    A specially malformed request to the Microsoft Local Security Authority
    (LSA)
    service may be used to exploit a security vulnerability on a Windows
    NT-based
    computer. A user can abuse this vulnerability to run a program and cause a
    denial of service attack that may cause the LSA service to stop responding
    (hang) and require you to restart the computer.

    CAUSE
    =====

    Windows NT provides the ability to manage user privileges programmatically
    via
    the Local Security Authority (LSA) application programming interface (API).
    This
    API allows a program to query user names, modify privileges, and change
    other
    elements of the security policy, subject to the program's authorizations.
    Certain API methods have unchecked buffers. If a call is made using a
    specially
    malformed argument, the LSA service may stop responding (hang). The
    vulnerability is a denial of service threat only, and the LSA service can be
    restored by rebooting the machine. This vulnerability cannot be used by
    unauthorized program to query or modify user information or privileges.

    RESOLUTION
    ==========

    A supported fix that corrects this problem is now available from Microsoft,
    but
    it has not been fully regression tested and should be applied only to
    systems
    experiencing this specific problem. If you are not severely affected by this
    specific problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows NT
    4.0
    service pack that contains this fix.

    To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
    Services
    to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services
    phone numbers and information on support costs, please go to the following
    address on the World Wide Web:

       http://support.microsoft.com/support/supportnet/default.asp

    The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or
    later:

       Date       Time     Size      File name    Platform
       04/28/99   07:41p   154,896   Lsasrv.dll   x86
       05/04/99   07:56p    10,000   Lsass.exe    x86

       04/27/99   07:38p   253,200   Lsasrv.dll   Alpha
       05/04/99   07:54p    16,144   Lsass.exe    Alpha

    NOTE: This fix can be installed on Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 and Service
    Pack 5.

    This hotfix has been posted to the following Internet location as
    Lsareqi.exe
    (x86) and Lsareqa.exe (Alpha):

       ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/NT40/
       hotfixes-postSP5/LSA3-fix/

    NOTE: If this product was already installed on your computer when you
    purchased
    it from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and you need this fix,
    please
    call the Pay Per Incident number listed on the above Web site. If you
    contact
    Microsoft to obtain this fix, and if it is determined that you only require
    the
    fix you requested, no fee will be charged. However, if you request
    additional
    technical support, and if your no-charge technical support period has
    expired,
    or if you are not eligible for standard no-charge technical support, you may
    be
    charged a non-refundable fee.

    For more information about eligibility for no-charge technical support, see
    the
    following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

       Q154871 Determining If You Are Eligible for No-Charge Technical Support

    STATUS
    ======

    Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT 4.0.

    MORE INFORMATION
    ================

    For additional security related information about Microsoft products, please
    visit the Web site at:

       http://www.microsoft.com/security/

    Additional query words:

    THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS
    PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.  MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS
    ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES
    OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  IN NO
    EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR
    ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
    CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF
    MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE
    POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.  SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION
    OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES
    SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.