Re: VLAN Security

From: Stefan Stefanov (sstefanovat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 01:23:38 PDT

    bugtraqat_private wrote:

    > To Bugtraq,
    >
    > We have recently conducted some testing into the security of the
    > implementation of VLANs on a pair of Cisco Catalyst 2900 series
    > switches and we feel that the results of this testing might be of some
    > value to the readers.  Testing basically involved  injecting 802.1q
    > frames with forged VLAN identifiers into the switch in an attempt to
    > get the frame to jump VLANs.  A brief background is included below for
    > those that might not be too familiar with VLANs.  Others should skip
    > to the end for the results.

    Interesting proposal, but I think it is more or less Cisco specific.
    Here I have a BayStack 350T-24 running software revision 1.0.0.2.
    According to the documentation the switch has the following feature that
    can be configured on per Port basis:

    Filter Tagged Frames: Allows you to set this port to filter (discard)
    all received tagged packets.

    I think all the ethernet switches should filter all tagged frames when a
    port is not a trunk port. This way a machine that is connected to a non
    trunked port, should not be able to send frames with 802.1q tags in it.

    In your example the switch should have filtered the tagged frames.

    --
    Best Regards,

    Stefan Stefanov
    Orbitel Ltd.