Re: I found this today and iam reporting it to you first!!! (fwd)

From: Peter van Dijk (peterat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 08:15:47 PDT

    On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 12:01:40PM -0700, Technical Incursion Countermeasures wrote:
    > You can do a variation on this one (well sort opf - is a logstanding prob)
    >
    > basically find two sites whose FW is conf'd to accept all mail and forward
    > it to the real mailserver. If this mailserver bounces invalid addresses
    > then you're on your way...

    This is not so much a problem with FW's in general.

    > spoof a mail from an invalid address on one end to an invalid address on
    > the other. and sit back..
    >
    > the first site will accept the mail (this is the fault - it should reject
    > if it is to comply with the IETF standard) and pass it inward, the
    > mailserver then sends an error message to the "sender"  and the same
    > process occurs at the other end...
    >
    > Rate of messages depends on bandwidth - but you can expect at least 1/sec...
    >
    > Of course you can multiply it if you send it to a list of recipients.. :}

    This trick can only work if the envelope from-address on a bounce is NOT
    empty ("<>"). Indeed, in that case a loop will occur.

    I think you have found a firewall-SMTP implementation that handles bounces
    in some really broken way.

    Greetz, Peter
    --
    | 'He broke my heart,      |                              Peter van Dijk |
         I broke his neck'     |                     peterat_private |