Re: NSA key in MSFT Crypto API

From: Tim Dierks (timat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 17:15:08 PDT

    It's not clear to me why being able to sign CSP modules is a risky thing
    anyway; all it means is that Windows will load and execute your crypto. The
    mechanism is designed to keep overseas end users from being able to build
    and install strong crypto libraries. If the NSA has a key, all they can do
    is vouch for their libraries as export-qualified and thus enable their use.

    It's not a secret backdoor or anything, and modules need to be on the
    machine before their signatures are checked. If I can get you to execute
    code on our Windows machine, I can penetrate your security, period. These
    authorizing signatures have nothing to do with it.

    Even if the key belongs to the NSA, I suspect that the NSA just wanted to be
    able to load classified Crypto Service Providers into Windows and didn't
    want to have to send said classified software to Microsoft for approval, so
    they got the key installed so they could approve software in house.

     - Tim

    Tim Dierks
    VP of Engineering, Certicom
    tdierksat_private
    510.780.5409 [Hayward] -- 905.501.3791 [Mississauga]