Re: Root shell vixie cron exploit

From: John Kennedy (jkat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 17:19:47 PDT

    On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 09:08:55PM +0400, Seva Gluschenko wrote:
    > man sendmail:
    > /-C
    > ...skipping...
    > 	-Cfile  Use alternate configuration file.  Sendmail refuses to run
    > 		as root if an alternate configuration file is specified.
    >
    > and it does, for sure %-).
    >
    > Just tested this on different versions of FreeBSD and had no effects
    > except Mail Delivery message:
    >
    > The following address has permanent fatal errors:
    > -C/tmp/vixie-cf gvs
    >
    > So, sendmail _really_ refuses to accept -C key when run as root

      ???  I haven't looked hard at that exploit, but I know sendmail and that
    is untrue.

      When an average (non-root) user tries to use a -C in sendmail, sendmail
    will drop all its suid privs.  You can (mis-)configure sendmail to do
    stupid things like run an arbitrary program is root -- your average user
    just can't do that themselves.

      I had assumed that the whole problem with the vixie-cron exploit was
    that cron allowed users to invoke sendmail with arbitrary command-line
    options *as root*, so dropping SUID status doesn't do any good.
    Sendmail doesn't try to protect the root user from themselves.