Re: Local DoS in FreeBSD

From: FreeBSD -- The Power to Serve (geniusj@FREE-BSD.ORG)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 14:25:57 PDT

    Actually, there is currently a patch from brian feldman that is being
    tested and will be added shortly to the -CURRENT tree for further
    testing.. it adds a new login.conf action to limit sbsize.. to give you an
    idea.. the sbsize in the mbuf crash is 2 mb.. which is huge.. you can
    limit to however many bytes you want.. if you limited to say.. 640000..
    there's no way anyone could crash it with mbufs. of course, if you are
    running a public access system, you shuld ALWAYS have login.conf setup, if
    not for mbufs, to protect the maxproc and openfiles limits as that can be
    bad on the system too.. Once this login.conf addition is made this should
    all be over ;)