Re: I found this today and iam reporting it to you first!!! (fwd)

From: Bill Royds (Bill_Roydsat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 08:33:24 PDT

    The real problem is defining a "Notification message". Every mail server  seems
    to define its notification messages differently.
    Supposedly notifications come from envelope sender <> so the format shouldn't
    matter. But so many systems refuse mail from  <> with a notification message of
    their own that the loops keep piling up. To avoid these systems, some sysadmins
    configure messages as coming from  MAILER-DAEMON or postmaster which gets
    regular error messages back to sender but increases a chance of an email loop.
    The worst offenders seem to be the coporate email systems such as Notes and
    Groupwise that were originally developed with only internal usage. They have had
    SMTP grafted on to them in a rather kludgey way.

    I had 25MB of postmaster messages this morning from mail loops that only ended
    when the messages ran over our 6MB email size limit. An internal Notes server
    lost connectivity to another server. Instead of queuing the messages it returned
    a non-standard format error message to sender which was refusing <> errors,
    sending them back. :-)

    Bret Watson <ticmat_private> on 07/09/99 04:24:00 AM

    Please respond to Bret Watson <ticmat_private>