Re: VLAN Security

From: David Taylor (David.Taylorat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 23:14:16 PDT

    Mike and Mike wrote:
    > While I think it's immensely useful that your study has debunked
    > in hard testing a common myth (that VLANs provide unbeatable
    > isolation), the limits of inter-switch VLAN isolation are discussed
    > already in Cisco's documentation.  See, e.g.:

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/1928v8x/ee
    scg8x/aleakyv.htm

    > Indeed, according to the document, all one needs to jump VLANs
    > involving more than one switch is the MAC of the target system.  Is
    > that NOT the case?

    Thanks for the Cisco hyperlink.  It was an interesting read.  The
    content of the document does not seem to apply to our test scenario.
    I thoroughly tested the possibility of getting ethernet frames to
    cross VLAN boundaries by specifying the MAC addresses, and I was not
    able to get this to occur under any circumstances using our test gear
    - - two Cisco 2924 switches.

    However, in response to our initial post, I did receive feedback from
    a couple of people, telling me that they were able to do what the
    Cisco document describes.  I attribute this difference in results to
    different models of switch.  It seems that the first generation of
    Cisco VLAN switches (1900 and 2880) did have this fault, but the more
    recent ones don't.  I guess we have to be thankful for small mercies.

    I suspect (although I haven't checked yet) that ISL trunking may have
    some problems of its own.  We only tested against 802.1q trunking.

    We also received a few responses to the initial post saying that the
    behaviour we observed conforms to the 802.1q spec, and basically "what
    was our problem?".  I haven't had an opportunity to dissect 802.1q in
    great detail, and I doubt that I will.  The whole point of our post
    was to raise public awareness of the potential security issues when
    using VLANs in a security situation, especially when using vendor
    default settings.

    I guess the moral of the story, from all the feedback, is not to use
    VLAN technology to divide security domains unless you really know what
    you are doing in terms of switch configuration, and even then to make
    sure you test the configuration thoroughly.

    Regards,
    Dave Taylor (david.taylorat_private)