Disabling everything

From: Dr. Joel M. Hoffman (joelat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 05:18:00 PDT

    >It's always a good idea to disable pings from the outside to your internal
    >network.  [...]

    Truth is, I'm getting a bit worried about the general approach to
    security, which is becoming "disable everything from the outside."  I
    think we should focus on making these remote protocols safe, rather
    than disabling them.

    Ping is very useful.  So is finger.  So too are lots of other remote
    functions that are increasingly blocked.

    Is there really no way to make these secure?  Or are we just taking
    the easy way out?

    -Joel Hoffman