Re: Local DoS on network by unpriviledged user using setsockopt()

From: Dylan Griffiths (Dylan_Gat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 19:49:17 PDT

    > Has anyone verified whether other non BSD-OSes are vulnerable?
    > Specifically, Linux 2.0.x (or any pre-2.2.9) releases?

    I just spent some time testing the exploit against Linux 2.2.6, and 2.2.9 w/
    Andrea's Buffer-C patch.  The machine had 128mb of ram, 128mb of swap, and a
    K6-2 266 Mhz CPU (the other machine I couldn't DoS had a 200Mhz Pentium w/
    MMX and login resource restrictions).

    The results are mixed.  When I first tested with 2.2.6, I did get a DoS.
    The DoS went away when I updated the System.map file to be accurate.  After
    some experimentation, it seems that it's more of a hit and miss situation (I
    could DoS with valid/invalid System.map files).  Sometimes it would DoS
    (looping about 290 to 300 times, pausing a second, then looping 20 more
    times, and then causing out of memory situations), and sometimes it wouldn't
    loop enough (and the kernel would reclaim the resources).  This seems to be
    a well hidden race in the Linux kernel, and both 2.2.6 and 2.2.9 (with the
    patch) were affected.

    The system I tested it on did not have login resource limits enforced, so
    I'm assuming a good login resource policy would stop the DoS on at least the
    2.2.x series (and possibly the 2.0.x series).  I've no idea if this will
    affect the 2.3.x series.