Auditing for RPC vulnerabilities? Use BASS

From: Liraz Siri (lirazat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 01:38:28 PDT

    On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 09:44:26PM -0400, Fyodor wrote:

    > Further, it can be painful to locate and 'rpcinfo' every host on a
    > large network.

    BASS includes RPC support, and was designed with bulk in mind (It was
    developed for the Internet Auditing Project). It will only take a few
    minutes of trivial effort to update the scanner (I might just do it
    myself). Besides being a bit out of date, it's well suited for the
    task.

    RPC support is based on portmapper however, so you won't fair well
    if the network is behind a firewall.

    You can grab it at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/data/tools/network/bass-1.0.7.tar.gz

    BTW, Unless you're running a Linux libc5 (our original development
    system), you'll need to apply the bugfix patches posted on Bugtraq a
    few weeks ago (Yes, a new version *is* in order).

    Fyodor's nmap, especially with RPC support is really an excellent tool.
    However, with nmap:
    1) It may take a while to comprehensively scan a very large network.
    2) It merely detects the presence of a service, and does not test for
       vulnerability (by attempting an overflow and evaluating the
       response, or the lack of one).

    Cheers,
    Liraz