CGI security

From: Kerb (kerbat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 07:57:35 PDT

    I just read most of the Phrack article about CGI security, and it made me
    wonder about another possible exploit.
    You'll have to correct me if I am wrong, as I am not real familiar with C, but
    would it be possible to throw an EOF
    character into a string?  Maybe a query string?  Now that doesnt sound all that
    great as is, but if you think about it,
    URL's are logged into the web logs, and a lot of administrators either have a
    program or just grep the access_log for
    attempts to exploit CGI vulnerabilities (scanners, etc).  Now this is where it
    gets good.  Would it be possible to
    tack an EOF file into a query string on a normal request, even for a static
    page (/index.html?EOF), then follow up
    with an exploit?  That way, if it works as I think it might, then when the log
    file is checked, it finds that EOF character
    and stops there, thinking it is the end of the file.  That would effectively
    cover your tracks.  As a CGI programmer,
    I'd appreciate any feedback.

    -Kerb