Re: gftp - ms ftp debug mode

From: Max Vision (visionat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 23:51:07 PDT

    Hi,

    Do you have reason to believe that this debug mode allows an attacker an
    extra ability to in some way capture your password information?

    Otherwise, the password being shown in debug mode on the client side is
    not a hole.  It is only shown to the client who had just typed it in
    seconds ago, and who specifically and consciously enables the debug mode.

    As I said in an earlier post, if I put my client software into a debug
    mode, I do want to know *exactly* what it's doing.  That's why I put it
    into debug mode.

    Hypothetical reasons for wanting to see the password information sent:

    1.  keyboard problems - if you have a "z" in your password and
        it misses when you hit the key half the time.
    2.  user error - you have numlock or caps lock, or have fat fingers
    3.  software trouble - you type foo, it sends oof..

    Doesn't matter what caused the problem (you did enable debug for a reason
    right?), the point is that debug behavior should be to facilitate debuging
    by providing as much information as possible.

    You may have heard these solutions before, but here they are:

    1. don't do that

    Keep in mind that as long as you are using the ftp protocol over the net,
    that password of yours is in clear in a big way.  That is a far more
    dangerous and real vulnerability.

    Max