Sega Dreamcast Web Browser Email Security Issue

From: HIGH TIMES (hight1mezat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 07:47:28 PDT

    Sega Dreamcast Web Browser Advisory

    Author      : John Bissell a.k.a. hight1mes
    Vulnerable  : Sega Dreamcast
    Impact      : Unable to check and manage email threw SDWB
    Release Date: September 13, 1999
    Status      : Sega has been contacted
    Contact     : royalbluat_private
    Homepage    : http://www.silcom.com/~royalblu/

    Background:
    ===========

    	The Sega Dreamcast Web Browser software that comes packaged in with every
    Dreamcast now allows the gamer for the first time ever to connect to the
    Internet via a console system. Unfortunately Sega has delivered the general
    public a very insecure web browser for browsing the web.

    	SDWB (Sega Dreamcast Web Browser) now only can browse the web but can send
    and receive email by clicking on the Mail icon from the command cluster.
    This is where we find the security problem in the SDWB mailbox.

    Problem Description:
    ====================

    	I thought to myself hmm now that console systems can connect to the
    Internet there must be potential for a for insecurity. Sure enough early
    into my investigation of the SDWB I found you can lock out a email account.

    	The problem can be exploited in the SDWB itself or any other email client
    that supports huge a huge subject when composing a message. I will now break
    down the exploit into a list of easy steps using the SDWB.

    1.) Start up the Sega Dreamcast Web Browser and connect to the Internet.
    2.) Send a message with a huge and i mean huge subject line.

    	Thats it! Now where that message was sent to no email can be viewed or
    managed threw the SDWB. When the victim SDWB user trys to read his email
    account he will get a error message reporting quote "An internal error has
    occurred. Please contact Sega."

    	This sort of problem exists in alot of software across the globe due to
    insufficient bounds checking... Sigh, when will we learn to code securely!

    Solution:
    =========

    	To fix this internal error when SDWB trys to access your email account you
    must use email software like Outlook Express, Eudora, etc on a computer to
    delete the evil message(s) with huge subjects.