Re: Multiple vulnerabilities in CDE

From: Troy A. Bollinger (troyat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 20:46:53 PDT

    Quoting Job de Haas (jobat_private):

    > I reported these seven weeks ago and since then CERT has been coordinating
    > the release of vendor patches (if anyone has). I have heard no more than that
    > CERT will be releasing an advisory, so I can give no detailed information
    > on the relevance of these bugs to specific vendors or on their patch
    > availability. Also I have heard nothing about this information being
    > incorrect.

    Here's the CERT advisory that was released today.  Of course, it's also
    available at www.cert.org.

    CERT Advisory CA-99-11 Four Vulnerabilities in the Common Desktop Environment

       Original release date: September 13, 1999
       Last revised: September 13, 1999
       Source: CERT/CC

       A complete revision history is at the end of this file.

    Systems Affected

         * Systems running the Common Desktop Environment (CDE)

    I. Description

       Multiple vulnerabilities have been identified in some distributions of
       the Common Desktop Environment (CDE). These vulnerabilities are
       different from those discussed in CA-98.02. We recommend that you
       install appropriate vendor patches as soon as possible (see Section
       III below). Until you can do so, we encourage you to disable or
       uninstall vulnerable copies of the CDE package. Note that disabling
       these programs will severely affect the utility of the CDE
       environment.

       At this time, the CERT/CC has not received any reports of these
       vulnerabilities being exploited by intruders.

    Vulnerability #1: ToolTalk ttsession uses weak RPC authentication mechanism

       The ToolTalk messaging server ttsession allows independent
       applications to communicate without having direct knowledge of each
       other. Applications can communicate through an associated ttsession
       which delivers messages via RPC calls between interested agents.

       On many systems, ttsession uses AUTH_UNIX authentication (a
       client-based security option) by default. When messages are received,
       ttsession uses certain environment variables supplied by the client
       to determine how the message is handled. Because of this, the
       ttsession process can be manipulated to execute unauthorized
       arbitrary programs with the privileges of the running ttsession.

    Vulnerability #2: CDE dtspcd relies on file-system based authentication

       The network daemon dtspcd (a CDE desktop subprocess control program)
       accepts CDE requests from clients to execute commands and launch
       applications remotely.

       When a client makes a request, the dtspcd daemon asks the client to
       create a file that has a predictable name so that the daemon can
       authenticate the request. If a local user can manipulate the files
       used for authentication, then that user can craft arbitrary commands
       that may run as root.

    Vulnerability #3: CDE dtaction buffer overflow

       The dtaction utility allows applications or shell scripts that
       otherwise are not connected into the CDE development environment, to
       request that CDE actions be performed.

       A buffer overflow can occur in some implementations of dtaction when a
       username argument greater than 1024 bytes is used.

    Vulnerability #4: CDE ToolTalk shared library buffer overflow in TT_SESSION

       There is a vulnerability in some implementations of the ToolTalk
       shared library which allows the TT_SESSION environment variable buffer
       to overflow. A setuid root program using a vulnerable ToolTalk
       library, such as dtsession, can be exploited to run arbitrary code as
       root.

    II. Impact

    Vulnerability #1: ToolTalk ttsession uses weak RPC authentication mechanism

       A local or remote user may be able to use this vulnerability to run
       commands on a vulnerable system with the same privileges of the
       attacked ttsession. For this attack to work, a ttsession must be
       actively running on the system attacked. The ttsession daemon is
       started whenever a user logs in using the CDE desktop, or upon
       interaction with CDE at some future point.

    Vulnerability #2: CDE dtspcd relies on file-system based authentication

       A vulnerable dtspcd may allow a local user to run arbitrary commands
       as root.

    Vulnerability #3: CDE dtaction buffer overflow

       A local user may be able to exploit this vulnerability to execute
       arbitrary code with root privileges.

    Vulnerability #4: CDE ToolTalk shared library buffer overflow in TT_SESSION

       A local user may be able to exploit this vulnerability to execute
       arbitrary code with root privileges.

    III. Solution

    Install appropriate patches from your vendor

    We recommend installing vendor patches as soon as possible and disabling the
    vulnerable programs until you can do so (or uninstalling the entire CDE
    package if not needed). Note that disabling these programs will severely
    affect the utility of the CDE environment.

    Appendix A contains information provided by vendors for this advisory. We
    will update the appendix as we receive more information. If you do not see
    your vendor's name, the CERT/CC did not hear from that vendor. Please
    contact your vendor directly.

    Appendix A. Vendor Information

    Compaq Computer Corporation

       Problem #1

              CDE ToolTalk session daemon & ToolTalk shared library overflow

              This potential security problem has been resolved and a patch
              for this problem has been made available for Tru64 UNIX V4.0D,
              V4.0E, V4.0F and V5.0.

              This patch can be installed on:

     V4.0D-F, all patch kits
     V5.0, all patch kits

              *This solution will be included in a future distributed release
              of Compaq's Tru64/ DIGITAL UNIX.

              This patch may be obtained from the World Wide Web at the
              following FTP address:

              http://www.service.digital.com/patches

              The patch file name is SSRT0617_ttsession.tar.Z

              Problem #2

              Compaq's Tru64/DIGITAL UNIX is not vulnerable.

              Problem #3

              CDE dtaction buffer overflow

              This potential security problem has been resolved and a patch
              for this problem has been made available for Tru64 UNIX V4.0D,
              V4.0E and V4.0F.

              This patch can be installed on:

    V4.0D Patch kit BL11 or BL12
    V4.0E Patch kit BL1 or BL12
    V4.0F Patch kit BL1

              *This solution will be included in a future distributed release
              of Compaq's Tru64/ DIGITAL UNIX.

              This patch may be obtained from the World Wide Web at the
              following FTP address:

              http://www.service.digital.com/patches

              The patch file name is SSRT0615U_dtaction.tar.Z

              Problem #4

              CDE ToolTalk shared library overflow

              See solution fix described in in Problem #1.

    Fujitsu

       Fujitsu's UXP/V operating system is not vulnerable to any of these
              vulnerabilities.

       Hewlett-Packard Company

       HP-9000 Series 700/800 HP-UX releases 10.X and 11.0 systems with CDE
              patches previously recommended in HP Security Bulletins are not
              vulnerable to vulnerabilities #2, #3, and #4.

              All HP-UX 10.X and 11.0 systems running CDE are vulnerable to
              vulnerability #1.

              Patches are in progress.

       IBM Corporation

       All releases of AIX version 4 are vulnerable to vulnerabilities #1,
              #3, and #4. AIX is not vulnerable to #2. The following APARs
              will be available soon:

          AIX 4.1.x:  IY03125  IY03847
          AIX 4.2.x:  IY03105  IY03848
          AIX 4.3.x:  IY02944  IY03849

              Customers that do not require the CDE desktop functionality can
              disable CDE by restricting access to the CDE daemons and
              removing the dt entry from /etc/inittab. Run the following
              commands as root to disable CDE:

          # /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d
          # chsubserver -d -v dtspc
          # chsubserver -d -v ttdbserver
          # chsubserver -d -v cmsd
          # chown root.system /usr/dt/bin/*
          # chmod 0 /usr/dt/bin/*

              For customers that require the CDE desktop functionality, a
              temporary fix is available via anonymous ftp from:

              ftp://aix.software.ibm.com/aix/efixes/security/cdecert.tar.Z

       Filename        sum             md5
       dtaction_4.1    32885    18     82af470bbbd334b240e874ff6745d8ca
       dtaction_4.2    52162    18     b10f21abf55afc461882183fbd30e602
       dtaction_4.3    56550    19     6bde84b975db2506ab0cbf9906c275ed
       libtt.a_4.1     29234  2132     f5d5a59956deb8b1e8b3a14e94507152
       libtt.a_4.2     21934  2132     73f32a73873caff06057db17552b8560
       libtt.a_4.3     12154  2118     b0d14b9fe4a483333d64d7fd695f084d
       ttauth          56348    31     495828ea74ec4c8f012efc2a9e6fa731
       ttsession_4.1   19528   337     bfac4a06b90cbccc0cd494a44bd0ebc9
       ttsession_4.2   46431   338     05949a483c4e390403055ff6961b0816
       ttsession_4.3   54031   339     e1338b3167c7edf899a33520a3adb060

              NOTE - This temporary fix has not been fully regression tested.
              Use the following steps (as root) to install the temporary fix.

       1. Uncompress and extract the fix.

          # uncompress < cdecert.tar.Z | tar xf -
          # cd cdecert

       2. Replace the vulnerable executables with the temporary fix for
          your version of AIX.

          # (cd /usr/dt/lib && mv libtt.a libtt.a.before_security_fix)
          # (cd /usr/dt/bin && mv ttsession ttsession.before_security_fix)
          # (cd /usr/dt/bin && mv dtaction dtaction.before_security_fix)
          # chown root.system /usr/dt/lib/libtt.a.before_security_fix
          # chown root.system /usr/dt/bin/ttsession.before_security_fix
          # chown root.system /usr/dt/bin/dtaction.before_security_fix
          # chmod 0 /usr/dt/lib/libtt.a.before_security_fix
          # chmod 0 /usr/dt/bin/ttsession.before_security_fix
          # chmod 0 /usr/dt/bin/dtaction.before_security_fix
          # cp ./libtt.a_ /usr/dt/lib/libtt.a
          # cp ./ttsession_ /usr/dt/bin/ttsession
          # cp ./dtaction_ /usr/dt/bin/dtaction
          # cp ./ttauth /usr/dt/bin/ttauth
          # chmod 555 /usr/dt/lib/libtt.a
          # chmod 555 /usr/dt/bin/ttsession
          # chmod 555 /usr/dt/bin/dtaction
          # chmod 555 /usr/dt/bin/ttauth

              IBM AIX APARs may be ordered using Electronic Fix Distribution
              (via the FixDist program), or from the IBM Support Center. For
              more information on FixDist, and to obtain fixes via the
              Internet, please reference

              http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/support/rs6000.support/down
              loads

              or send electronic mail to "aixservat_private" with the
              word "FixDist" in the "Subject:" line. To facilitate ease of
              ordering all security related APARs for each AIX release,
              security fixes are periodically bundled into a cumulative APAR.
              For more information on these cumulative APARs including last
              update and list of individual fixes, send electronic mail to
              "aixservat_private" with the word "subscribe
              Security_APARs" in the "Subject:" line.

       Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

       SCO is investigating these vulnerabilities on SCO UnixWare 7. Other
              SCO products (OpenServer 5.0.x, UnixWare 2.1.x, Open Server /
              Open Desktop 3.0 and CMW+) are not vulnerable as CDE is not a
              component of these releases.

              SCO will make patches and status information available at

              http://www.sco.com/security.

       Silicon Graphics, Inc.

       SGI acknowledges the CDE vulnerabilities reported and is currently
              investigating. No further information is available at this
              time. As further information becomes available, additional
              advisories will be issued via the normal SGI security
              information distribution methods including the wiretap mailing
              list.

              Until SGI has more definitive information to provide, customers
              are encouraged to assume all security vulnerabilities as
              exploitable and take appropriate steps according to local site
              security policies and requirements.

              The SGI Security Headquarters Web page is accessible at the URL

              http://www.sgi.com/Support/security/security.html

       Sun Microsystems, Inc.

       Vulnerability #1:

              Systems running Solaris 7, 2.6, 2.5.1, 2.5, 2.4, and 2.3, and
              SunOS 4.1.4 and 4.1.3_U1 are vulnerable if the UNIX
              authentication mechanism (default) is used with ttsession.

              The use of DES authentication is recommended to resolve this
              issue. To set the authentication mechanism to DES, use the
              ttsession command with the '-a' option and specify 'des' as
              the argument (see ttsession(1) for more information). The use
              of DES authentication also requires that the system uses Secure
              NFS, NIS+, or keylogin. For more information about Secure NFS,
              NIS+, or keylogin, please see the System Administration Guide,
              Volume II. Information is also available at:

              http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.47.8/SYSADV2/@Ab2PageView/34908
              ?DwebQuery=secure+rpc

              Vulnerability #2:

              The following patches are available:

        CDE version         SunOS version                   Patch ID
        ___________         _____________                   _________

        1.3                 5.7                             108221-01
        1.3_x86             5.7_x86                         108222-01
        1.2                 5.6                             108199-01
        1.2_x86             5.6_x86                         108200-01
        1.0.2               5.5.1, 5.5, 5.4                 108205-01
        1.0.2_x86           5.5.1_x86, 5.5_x86, 5.4_x86     108206-01
        1.0.1               5.5, 5.4                        108252-01
        1.0.1_x86           5.5_x86, 5.4_x86                108253-01

              Vulnerability #3:

              The following patches are available:

        CDE version         SunOS version                   Patch ID
        ___________         _____________                   _________

        1.3                 5.7                             108219-01
        1.3_x86             5.7_x86                         108220-01
        1.2                 5.6                             108201-01
        1.2_x86             5.6_x86                         108202-01

              Patches for CDE versions 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 will be available
              within two weeks of the release of this advisory.

              Vulnerability #4:

              Patches will be available within two weeks of the release of
              this advisory.

              Sun security patches are available at:

              http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/patch-li
              cense&nav=pubpatches

       The CERT Coordination Center would like to thank Job de Haas for
       reporting these vulnerabilities and working with the vendors to effect
       fixes. We would also like to thank Network Solutions Atlantic for
       their efforts in coordinating vendor solutions.

       This document is available from:
       http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-11-CDE.html

    CERT/CC Contact Information

       Email: certat_private
              Phone: +1 412-268-7090 (24-hour hotline)
              Fax: +1 412-268-6989
              Postal address:
              CERT Coordination Center
              Software Engineering Institute
              Carnegie Mellon University
              Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
              U.S.A.

       CERT personnel answer the hotline 08:00-20:00 EST(GMT-5) / EDT(GMT-4)
       Monday through Friday; they are on call for emergencies during other
       hours, on U.S. holidays, and on weekends.

    Using encryption

       We strongly urge you to encrypt sensitive information sent by email.
       Our public PGP key is available from

       http://www.cert.org/CERT_PGP.key

       If you prefer to use DES, please call the CERT hotline for more
       information.

    Getting security information

       CERT publications and other security information are available from
       our web site

       http://www.cert.org/

       To be added to our mailing list for advisories and bulletins, send
       email to cert-advisory-requestat_private and include SUBSCRIBE
       your-email-address in the subject of your message.

       Copyright 1999 Carnegie Mellon University.
       Conditions for use, disclaimers, and sponsorship information can be
       found in

       http://www.cert.org/legal_stuff.html

       * "CERT" and "CERT Coordination Center" are registered in the U.S.
       Patent and Trademark Office.

       NO WARRANTY
       Any material furnished by Carnegie Mellon University and the Software
       Engineering Institute is furnished on an "as is" basis. Carnegie
       Mellon University makes no warranties of any kind, either expressed or
       implied as to any matter including, but not limited to, warranty of
       fitness for a particular purpose or merchantability, exclusivity or
       results obtained from use of the material. Carnegie Mellon University
       does not make any warranty of any kind with respect to freedom from
       patent, trademark, or copyright infringement.

       Revision History
       Sep 13, 1999:  Initial release

    --
    Troy Bollinger                            troyat_private
    AIX Security Development        security-alertat_private