Re: Hotmail security vulnerability - injecting JavaScript using

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 05:07:55 PDT

    > Btw. the example given for IE is a classic example of what is so wrong
    > with Javascript: you can do anything with it - including e.g. trivial
    > stealing of passwords by popping up fake login dialogs - _even if it
    > doesn't make sense in the context_. This alone is a reason to
    > completely block and disable it.

    In this paticular case its a beautiful example of how not to configure
    a web based email system. Javascript does have a sense of security domains
    and nowdays it even seems to work right (see old stuff with the one line frame
    snooping on the rest)

    Untrusted content should be served in a different security domain to the
    main system. If hotmail handed out its own admin stuff from hotmail.com and
    the message contents from ifyoutrustthisyouarecrazy.com, things would be a lot
    safer. I concur however for many of us - not safe enough.

    Alan